Thursday 26 May 2011

We don't need a bike, we need a boat!

Before we started climbing I thought it might be a good idea to not try to climb a snow clad moutain in a pair of trainers, so I thought I'd buy a new pair of proper walking boots.  But that done, there was nothing holding us back.

We had a slight improvement in the weather for yesterday's assault on Ben Nevis.  At least up to a point.  The climb follows a well trodden path and there were quite a number of other walkers heading up the mountain.  The gradient is constant and up to about 800 metres it was probably the easiest of the 3 peaks climbs.

Then the blizzard set in.  Snow in May.  We had a snowball fight, I thought about building a snowman.  But we had a mountain to climb so I thought better of it.  We got to the top after a little over 3 hours. Yay! Then back down for a well deserved pint.

Today, back on the bike from Fort William to Inverness.  70 miles broadly crossing Scotland from West to East.  It started raining as we rolled out of Fort William, and carried on at varing degrees of intensity until a few miles short of Inverness.  I wasn't having a huge amount of fun if I'm being honest.  But, hey, charity fundraising shouldn't be about enjoying yourself.





No comments:

Post a Comment